Coronavirus update for Wednesday, April 29 as of 3:30 p.m.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- CMS has posted a letter to clinicians participating in its Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) explaining how participating in a clinical trial and reporting their findings to a clinical data repository or registry may earn them credit in the 2020 performance period.
- CMS has updated its FAQ on Medicare fee-for-service billing. The update features a new question on the MIPS program.
- CMS has issued a transmittal on the quarterly update of the long-term-care hospital (LTCH) prospective payments system fiscal year 2020 pricer to reflect changes in the 50 percent rule, site-neutral payments, and the 25-day length-of-stay requirement during the COVID-19 emergency. The change request updates the LTCH pricer software used in original Medicare claims processing. The update also is described in an article in CMS’s online publication MLN Matters.
- CMS is holding a COVID-19 stakeholders call for nurses on Thursday, April 30 at 3:30 p.m. (eastern). The toll-free dial-in number is 833-614-0820 and the access code is 4268398. An audio webcast can be reached here. Individuals who cannot participate during the call can find information about transcripts and podcasts here.
- CMS is hosting a call for ambulatory surgery centers and freestanding emergency departments to provide updates on the agency’s latest COVID-19 guidance on Thursday, April 30 at 12 noon (eastern). Agency officials will be available to answer technical and operational questions from providers. The toll-free dial-in number is 833-614-0820 and the access code is 4366486. An audio webcast can be reached here. Individuals who cannot participate during the call can find information about transcripts and podcasts here.
- CMS is holding a COVID-19 stakeholders call on “lessons from the front lines,” featuring CMS Administrator Seema Verma, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, MD, and the White House Coronavirus Task Force on Friday, May 1 at 12:30 p.m. (eastern). The toll-free dial-in number is 877-251-0301 and the access code is 9545128. An audio webcast can be reached here. Individuals who cannot participate during the call can find information about transcripts and podcasts here.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The CDC has published its serology surveillance strategy.
- The CDC has collected its various guidance documents for different types of health care facilities.
- The CDC has updated its guidelines for collecting, handling, and testing clinical specimens for persons with COVID-19.
- The CDC has published guidance for cleaning and disinfecting public spaces, workplaces, businesses, schools, and home.
- The CDC has updated its frequently asked questions and answers about COVID-19 and children (scroll down about one-third of the way down the web page).
- The CDC has posted interim guidance on breastfeeding and breast milk feeds in the context of COVID-19.
Food and Drug Administration
- The FDA has posted advice on bioequivalence studies for submission in abbreviated new drug applications (ANDAs) during the COVID-19 pandemic. This advice also addresses clinical trials for such drugs that have been affected by COVID-19.
- The FDA has issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for a new serology test.
- The FDA has issued an EUA for the accelerated use of a COVID-19 test by a single children’s hospital.
Federal Funding Opportunities for Hospitals
- NASH has prepared a document that collects and presents in one place the various new federal funding opportunities for hospitals resulting from legislation addressing the COVID-19 public health emergency. Find that document here.
To receive this daily update directly, sign up for our mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org.)