The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has published its proposed Medicare outpatient prospective payment system regulation for calendar year 2016.
- a cut in outpatient rates
- clarification of chronic care management payments
- a restructuring of ambulatory payment classifications
- a new, single payment for observation services
- a 1.1 percent increase in ambulatory surgical center payments
Perhaps most noteworthy, the proposed regulation presents the changes CMS envisions implementing in its controversial “two-midnight rule.”