Reducing administrative and regulatory burdens is the subject of a new request for information issued last week by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
In the RFI, CMS explains that it is especially interested in “…innovative ideas that broaden perspectives on potential solutions to relieve burden and ways to improve”
- reporting and documentation requirements
- coding and documentation requirements for Medicare or Medicaid payment
- prior authorization procedures
- policies and requirements for rural providers, clinicians, and beneficiaries
- policies and requirements for dually enrolled (Medicare and Medicaid) beneficiaries
- beneficiary enrollment and eligibility determination
- CMS processes for issuing regulations and policies
Comments are due to CMS by August 12.
For further information, see the CMS news release “CMS Seeks Public Input on Patients over Paperwork Initiative to Further Reduce Administrative, Regulatory Burden to Lower Healthcare Costs” or go here to see the RFI itself.