The commissioners of the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission recently met virtually. The subjects on the agenda of their two-day meeting were:
- rural emergency hospitals
- dual-eligible special needs plans
- MedPAC’s work plan for hospice issues
- Medicare coverage of and payment for software as a medical service
- favorable selection in Medicare Advantage
- network management and prior authorization and their impact on access in Medicare Advantage
MedPAC is an independent congressional agency that advises Congress on issues involving Medicare. While its recommendations are not binding on either Congress or the administration, MedPAC is highly influential in governing circles and its recommendations often find their way into legislation, regulations, and new public policy.